Pages

Followers

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fascinating Rhythm

I find myself unexpectedly on the Journey of Fascination.  Super uplifting.  A gift from a friend, who remains nameless.  Many thanks friend.  You have no idea-or a complete idea-how much another of Kat's journeys I needed.

I thought I might know who that friend was, but when I started thinking about it, I've met so many kind friends out there in blogger land-providing an additional journey for me could be a gift from a large variety of sources.  It matters not, I'm delighted and very appreciative.




I don't know if there's a special button, but this one will take you to "the place".  I've recommended any of Kat's classes in the past.  If you want to check them out and see how to start the journey yourself....click the big pink square.




"Owning It".  Yah, that's about as much fun as "letting go" and those "just feelings" which when they run around in your head at 4:30 a.m. feel entirely UNjust.  This lesson is about mistakes and those 3 things, in no particular order.  They can be scrambled to your personal delight.

When engaging with music, my greatest love and joy, became frustrating and unavailable to me in a satisfying way, I picked up my point and shoot one day and started clicking (and haven't stopped).  My thought was "if it sucks, I'll just delete it".  You may fill in a more mannered way of saying that if you'd like.  I can be a little raw, but I do have other endearing qualities.

This was a no pressure way to just have a go as my UK friends might say. (Yes, I'm doing my bit).  Of course as time marches on that freedom binds a little, but I do still try to shoot with that in mind.  I'm delighted that the delete button and recycle bin (that's a funny name for a trash can) on my computer are used less for that task than used to be.

But there are still those moments.

Grrrrrr.

But, oh well.

An old woman I once knew, of limited mental ability, like 2nd grade perhaps, used to say "you can't go back".  It was a catch phrase of hers.  Amazingly brilliant.

However, those moments can torment you at 4:30 a.m. when they are truly one of kind.  But then again, isn't every moment?  I wonder too much.



Just Sun and Clouds
Just Sun and Clouds

Here's a photo of an airplane I took yesterday.

I didn't throw this immediately to be recycled.  Something made me stop and wonder if the journey between earth and heaven may look something like this where of course an airplane would kind of ruin things.  I also thought winter time sure is messy on my windshield.


Jovial
Jovial


My biggest "one moment in time" was this past summer when I traveled to Cuba.  It's the only photo job I've ever done-and it was a big one. I was to document the cultural/musical exchange trip of a chorus with 110 members.  They won't be going back to Cuba.  Ever.

Honestly, I feel I did a great job.  I took waaaayyyyyy too many photos and processed waaaaayyyyy too many photos, but 9 days of 12 hour days-you know, that's a bit over the top.

I'm sure I made plenty of goofs, but my most disappointing was a morning was one of the richest opportunities.  Funny there were no old cars, unique colorful architecture, or poverty stricken alleys involved.  It was a visit to a senior center where the chorus squeezed into a room with strong sunlight streaming in one end, and bright windows along one side.  Hmmmm.

I went with an ISO of 100.  Whoops.  With 110 women, plus 30-40 seniors the room was full of people moving around and I messed up with many blurry shots.  I did discover my mistake 3/4 the way through, but had to delete 100's of great moments.

Embrace
Embrace

This would have been a lovely moment to preserve.  I have no idea who that chorus member is interacting with the elderly woman.
You can see the intense light behind where some of the women are standing and where they sang.  That was what I based my decision on.  I didn't consider the movement and the rest of the room.  I got too excited with the juicy moments happening.


Whoops
Whoops

Here's another genuine moment that can almost sneak by.  Although Megan's beauty shines thru, the double vision eyes (pardon the pun) just undo it too far.


When I got back to the hotel and downloaded the images I was really crushed.

But like a quarterback who throws an interception, I knew I had to keep my head in the game.  I was able to shake it off.  I realized that I did have a variety of good shots, enough for the flavor of the day to be remembered, and that's all that mattered.  I know that some of the blurring, gives a sense of the energy and vibrancy of the day.


Conga Line
Conga Line

Thank goodness Noel is pretty much in focus, it saved the moment.
You should have seen those seniors jump into this crazy fun.


I also knew that there was an entire afternoon and evening's events ahead and 5 more days to go.  Buck up captain.

What did I learn?...keep checking that histogram.  Now I often shoot with that displayed rather than seeing a full picture.  Check it often, consider variances throughout the space or scene.  Check where the shutter speed is too and the aperture.  Any of those could have helped.

But look at this still moment I got....

Flowers
Flowers

You can 't tell me the women didn't make a difference-life long memories for those seniors and for themselves.  This man touched that flower one of the women had given him during nearly the entire performance. 
It's my favorite shot of the day.  It reminds me in an instant of the entire scene.


Thanks for reading; I know I'm long winded here, but if you're going to go on a fascinating journey, you might as well jump in with two feet.


Or as these seniors might say.....

Evrybody Dance Now
Everybody Dance Now!

11 comments:

Kathryn said...

Your cuba photos entrance and captivate me, even the mistakes make me smile. It's how we learn and grow. I'm still on aperture and exposure . . . haven't got any of the rest sussed out yet.

Deborah Tisch said...

Oh, Susan...

The image of the man touching the flower has me all teary eyed.

And then, how FABULOUS that you get to join us on this part of the photo journey!!! I'm grateful to whoever made it possible.

Your trip to Cuba has fascinated me since you began posting images here. I understand those 'mistakes' and how they came about because I would probably do the same. And kick myself later.

The histogram...I have used it some, but will take your tip here and try looking at it more seriously.

Doin' the happy dance with ya, dear friend!

Sarah Huizenga said...

What a wonderful trip. Senior centers hold a special place in my heart. The tenderness of the photo of the flower and the hands touches my heart. The blur with the congo line is great.

Susan said...

Fun, I especially like the flower shot as well, what a story that image holds.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
gina said...

Wow, what a heartfelt post, Susan! I am so happy that you are joining us on the journey of fascination because you will have a lot to offer the group. Your first image is amazing -- it does look like it was taken from a rocket ship!

The Cuba trip was truly a fascinating journey -- I enjoyed reading about it on your blog. So some of your photos disappointed you -- you got so many wonderful images -- they all can't be great, can they? We can all learn lessons from our mistakes. And then we dance!

Carol Blackburn said...

Mornin' Susan......I see nothing wrong with any of your shots. Each one offers up a living memorial to the excitement your group created in Cuba. I bet some of those people have wonderful dreams about the joy you all brought with you and left a piece behind.
Oh by the way - Happy Valentine's Day to you.

Kat Sloma said...

Wow. Just, wow. I like how you approached this incident partway through your trip - you have to keep going. Learn from it, move on, work to avoid it in the future. The motion blur you did get does add to the energy in many of these photographs, even while it wasn't what you were looking for. You captured the moment, the day quite nicely. That last image, of the man and his flower, is incredible. It wasn't all bad! I'm so glad to have you in class again. We can both thank the friend-who-shall-remain-nameless. :)

Tamar SB said...

Way to go deep! You really open my eyes to all these amazing ideas and connections!

Brenda said...

I look forward to following along with your latest journey. See, this is why I don't take photos of things that move. But yes, it was all worth it for that single shot - "Flowers". This one makes me well up with tears for the touching beauty of that moment.

seabluelee said...

Hurray, Susan! However you got here, I'm so glad you're taking the journey with us!! My thoughts on this series of photos are similar to Kat's. Perhaps you only showed "the best of the worst" here, but to me, the blur seems to enhance many of these images. The motion adds to the emotion of Embrace. In Conga Line, Noel's focused face draws my eye right to her, and her joyful expression says it all. Flowers is simply perfect. You nailed it.

But the best part is that you got back up on the horse and carried on. I think you did an amazing job on that trip, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.