Pages

Followers

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

It's a Wrap

Linking with Kat over at The Kat Eye Studio for the next journeying lesson.




On Sunday it snowed again so I was primarily house bound.  Perfect time for the "seeing by drawing" lesson where one shall look, take a few, draw, take a few more, and write.  Got it.


OK, in the first step it said find a simple object to draw.  BUT I read find a simple object to draw.

So, I picked what was already lying around-



Blue Scarf
Blue Scarf

I should have gone with the coffee mug that was also lying around, but the scarf is pretty.  I listened to Sarah over at the Paisley Rain Boots and decided to put the scarf in north facing light and give it a go. (Thanks for that north light mention-I never had thought of that before.)


Sketch Pad
Sketch Pad


I am admittedly not someone who draws. (and no I'm not pre-apologizing a la lesson 5) I was, however looking forward to this no stress exercise and surprised when after 4 or 5 minutes I started getting really frustrated, not about quality, but about time.

My digital imaging instructor was a fabulous artist.  Something he would say "as with any art form, the more time you put in, the better your result will be".  I find with drawing, my patience runs out very quickly.  It is not relaxing or fun for me to try to figure out how lines, curves and shadows go.  I don't seem to have a handle on getting a 3 dimensional result.  I blame this on almost zero art instruction in my elementary school days.

All I wanted to do was go back and take more photos....but I kept going, looking at all those little fringey things and wondering if I was EVER going to finish drawing them.  (note to self:  think mug next time).


Finally (yahoo) I got to stop and get the camera again.



Strands
Strands

Here are the little devils.


Twists
Twists

I did notice while swearing drawing the way the little devils were attached to the body of the scarf in little triangular strands that were then braided to create the fringe.  I don't knit or I might have known that already.


Folds
Folds

I also went back to this area that I struggled with in the drawing exercise.  I wasn't able to create the shadows or the way the material folded and layered atop itself but I sensed it might be a good area to target.


Cejon BW
Cejon BW

When I took pics before starting to draw my eye was catching the label.  I immediately wanted to use it as a focal point or as a blurry but recognizable element in contrast to a shallow DOF.  When I went back to shoot again, I studiously avoided it,-even though this was one that snuck in-but I still think that it does help the context of the image.


I can totally see the benefit of this exercise.  Perhaps it is not the right one for me.  I had learned from Kat before to slow down, consider an object from various angles, perspectives, and sides.  I think if I take that reminder away from this exercise it is of great benefit.

Something else I learned:  This scarf is not only blue, it has pretty patterns of pale yellows and purples.  It will go with all my blues jeans! : )

Thank you for stopping by and reading about my scarf experience.  Thanks to Kat for another thought provoking exercise.  That Kat; she's always thinking!  So glad of that.

15 comments:

Tamar SB said...

What a gorgeous scarf! I had to get out on Sunday and braved the snow for another trip to ikea (best place to spend a snowy day!)

Tamar SB said...

What a gorgeous scarf! I had to get out on Sunday and braved the snow for another trip to ikea (best place to spend a snowy day!)

Kathryn said...

Isn't it funny what we're able to see when we slow down and truly look for a moment.

gina said...

Oh, that scarf looks so soft and warm! The drawing exercise tried my patience too, but it does make us look more carefully at the object. Your after photos are so lovely, with the focus on the tiny details of the scarf. Wear it in good health!

Helen said...

A beautiful set of photos - well worth the time and effort of taking a closer look through drawing!

Kathy said...

I loved reading about this whole process! Would have driven ME insane (patience is NOT one of my virtues). But interesting nonetheless. Looks to me like you mastered it :)

seabluelee said...

Well, you know (as I was reminded), the quality of the drawing wasn't the point of the exercise. I agree that you are already good at slowing down and looking at things from unusual points of view. Your unique POV is one of the things I like about your photography. That shot of the sketch book and glasses is a great example. But I do like your after photos, especially that first one of just the fringe detail.

Brenda said...

Wow! Regardless of your frustration with the drawing part, the results are quite amazing. I love all of your "after-drawing" shots - whatever magic the exercise worked was worth it. Since I was stuck indoors today, I really struggled to find something to shoot - I can certainly learn from your example here - that there really is no excuse. There is always something to shoot if we are willing to slow down and see.

Sarah Huizenga said...

Love the North Window Light :) Even though you got frustrated as I think I will once I do this exercise. It sounds like you got a ton out of it and that is reflected in your photographs. Great job Susan!

Kat Sloma said...

I'm glad you appreciate my thinking, Susan! In this case, no matter how frustrated you were by the drawings themselves or the time it took, your point of view and what you saw definitely changed. Your after images tell us so much "more" about the scarf - it's textures, construction, light and shadow. Remember this when you ever want to see deeply!

Susan said...

What a pretty scarf, I like that you fill the page with your sketch too, and the pretty red in your glasses. :-)

Deborah Tisch said...

I liked how this exercise really really made us look carefully at the object to be photographed.

You found some great details in this scarf and your photos show them nicely.

Carol Blackburn said...

I see you've been flexing your sketching muscles. Nicely done, Susan. I hope things are good with you. Looks like we're getting snow, snow...and more snow.

Cathy H. said...

Slowing down! That is so hard to do sometimes! I want to dive right in and click, click, click! I love the way your eye was drawn to the details of the fringe and the lovely north light. I tried that too after Sarah's suggestion and really like it!

Laloofah said...

What a great exercise! I'm no artist either (nor am I patient), but I can sure see the value in this for photography and much else, with its almost sneaky insistence on slowing down and observing even the most subtle details. It's almost a meditation. And it was fun to read about how your awareness of the details of the scarf grew, and how excited you were to realize it had more colors in it than just blue!

This made me think of the book I'm currently reading (and have no hope of finishing, given that it's an Interlibrary Loan, 462 pages long, and very "dense"). It's The Master and His Emissary and it's about the functions and relationship between the left and right hemispheres of the brain. One of the few things I've learned that I actually am capable of explaining (lol) is that the left hemisphere is chiefly about focusing on details (at the expense of context, the big picture view, etc), while the right hemisphere ignores detail and concerns itself with context and the big picture. I could almost see your left brain taking control from your right as I read this! :-)