Pages

Followers

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Learning Curve

Linking with Kat.  Yay.  Journeying on. 




Topic du jour.  Learning new stuff.  I love learning new stuff.  I learn best in a classroom with a teacher-tho' that teacher must be a good teacher.  It seems some artists are amazing artists, but....they can't teach their way out of a paper bag.  Teaching is an art form all itself.

Anywho...a good teacher inspires me, makes me crazy, and ends up being a blessing.  With photography and processing work, hands on seems essential.  Those are my hands that are on.  Not a group thing where every one's hands are on.  That doesn't work for me.  Boy am I picky.

Video tutorials are a nice substitute teacher (nyuk, nyuk, nyuk) and a cheaper way to go.  They usually show just one little tidbit.  Sometimes I'll watch 2 or 3 to get different perspectives.  I use them quite a bit for processing tips.  When I was looking for equipment that I'd need for Cuba, videos were a big help.  Choosing a camera bag that would hold all my stuff, extra stuff, laptop stuff, adapter stuff;  videos helped a lot.  I found one.  Bingo!


Currently, its processing techniques I'm interested in. Here's the rub.  I see creative images "out there" all the time.  My brain notes it's cool, and interesting, and maybe I should try it sometime.  And then my brain thinks about the load of laundry in the dryer, or I have to go to work, or I'm hungry, or Tula needs a walk, and well, cool, interesting and trying it have left the building with Elvis.

This happens with reading books too.  Any books.  Library books.  It takes me 6 weeks to read a 300 page book, because I'm unable to settle down and focus.  I sense that everything else should be done before I can do something fun.  Do you think this hearkens back to that Saturday chore list my mom used to make?  It had to be finished before any play could happen.  Sure, let's blame it on mom....even though it's totally not her fault.  I could blame it on ADHD.  Not sure I have that, but it kind of sounds like it.

I'm glad to have this journey lesson.  Truth is, I didn't do it.  Truth is, I've been thinking about laundry, dog walks, etc and procrastinating.  In my defense, work has been busy too-like the 10 hour day that went down yesterday.  What I want to do now is keep up with the journey pace, so I did a miniature version of the lesson.  That's why there's so much writing here.  I'm dazzling you with words! : )

I PROMISE I'll make this list later and be more diligent about actually doing.  Writing it down will help.  Mind is not like a sieve, but more like a colander.  I think I'll keep a notepad at my computer designated for writing down cool stuff I'd like to try.



Something I've been curious about for a long time is taking a photo and turning it into a round "planet".  I don't know why this is, but each time I've seen it I wondered about it.  Yesterday I decided to give it a go.  I chose video tutorial and the process was so easy, I about kicked myself.  WHY do I procrastinate so?  Most of the time these things are sooooooo simple.  Fessing up.  I saw this the first time about 2 years ago.  That's a long time to stay curious.  I even did read about it once eons ago.


I decided to try it based on what I remembered you were supposed to do.


The Off Season
Off Season

You take this lonely beach scene.....



 
Off-Season Around

.....and turn it into this.  Voila.


Then I read a tutorial.  Supposed to use a square image, best to choose one where both edges have similar coloring and a level horizon line.  Landscapes are reported to work well.

Flip the image upside down
Image>Image rotation>180

Distort
Filter>distort>polar coordinates>rectangle to polar

I mean, that is so easy a cave man could do it (a cave man with Photoshop).


Doorstep to Spring {12/52}
Doorstep to Spring



Doorstep to Spring Round

And there it is.


A line does form where the circle meets that requires patching and cloning.  Because of the clouds, this image didn't clean up well.  I believe there's a way to remove the outside edging too and just have the circle.  Will have to video that.  Maybe creating a new file, fill with white, insert the image and layer mask.  That might work.

You can also do them without turning them upside down.


Demo
Demo

I left the line so you can see what needs attention....and because I need to do laundry, take Tula for a walk, I'm hungry, and I have to go to work.  : )

After all that, I'm not sure I'm really digging this, but I suppose it has a purpose now and then.  I don't think it would be good to do it after drinking.  Yikes.

Ready for the next lesson.  Thank you Kat.

16 comments:

Sarah Huizenga said...

I LOVE reading your words. They always make me smile and laugh. I love the first tree one you did in a circle, the middle looks like seaweed and I love the trees in the circle.

Reading your words about putting things you want to do after things you have to do. I am posting a link to my other blog where I wrote on this very topic, I don't want to "fix" you, just want to let you know you are not alone.

http://becomingafinisher.blogspot.com/2013/02/saying-goodbye-to-guilt.html

Have an awesome day, but hopefully not 10 hours long :)

Anita Johnson said...

I like reading what you write as much as i like viewing your photos. I tried a few of these...you are right...sometimes they work better than others. You can see my attempts on my blog (Sidebar, My world)

Kathy said...

OOOOHHHHHH that last one is my favorite!!!!!!!

Becky said...

Wowza! WHEN I get back to finishing my website, I want to pay you to use the Doorstep to Spring one - wowza!!

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

cool effect, I really like 'doorstep', the ground is really interesting.

I have mixed emotions on post processing. I rely on it for simple stuff, but I don't like spending a bunch of time on it.

gina said...

Oh, this is such fun, Susan! You did dazzle me with your words. I usually procrastinate too, and never even get around to the video tutorials. I think this post gives me a good nudge.

Stewart said...

The combination of humor and information and personal revelation in your writing with the interesting technique made this such a pleasure to read, thank you. I'm going to try this myself, and the lack of photos of this type give me an excuse to go out and take some, thanks!

Stewart said...

P.S. might you be willing to share how you did your copyright? I really love the style. thanks!

seabluelee said...

Your words are dazzling, my dear, and left me laughing as usual. You have a gift! Then, on top of that, you give us a dazzling display of a new technique that has now been added to my own "Try this" list. Doesn't matter that it's simple, it only matters that you actually did it instead of just thinking "that's cool" and moving on.
Have a good day and don't work too hard!

Kat Sloma said...

You so dazzled me with your words, at first I forgot there was an exercise! I'm glad you took the plunge and tried something new. There is nothing like "doing" in order to learn. And it was so easy too, awesome. I love the tree planet, of course!

Leanne Barnett said...

The middle one turned out really well didnt it?
It is a fun effect- there's actually an app on the iphone called tiny planets that does it with the click of a button. Fun to have a go, but it's not something i use very often.

Carol Blackburn said...

LOL......that's way too hard for my ageing brain to comprehend...:) I think I read it all but can't be sure I didn't drift off a time or two. I apologize. I think I'll just go paint now. Bye!

Kathryn said...

Very cool susan . . . there is so much about photoshop that I don't know. Feel like I've barely scratched the surface. I'm like you though, I feel like I have to get other things done before I sit down and play and by then I'm usually tired and worn out.

Cathy H. said...

What a cool thing! I've never seen this, nor will I try it...don't have photoshop! Congrats on letting everything go and just sitting down and playing/learning!! My favorite is the last one. I love the contast between the circle and all the lines!!

Brenda said...

Look at you - creating out-of-this-world planetary worlds. I have seen this effect as well - and how do you like that? It IS incredibly easy - who knew? Love your experiments in solar system creation. (I have started pinning interesting tutorials to a Pinterest board - I have a better chance of remembering to give it a whirl than if it is buried as a link in my favorites.) You do need to remember to give yourself some playtime - you DO absolutely deserve it.

Laloofah said...

I agree, life and other interests can be so easily distracting! I should just set aside an hour or two a day that I can devote to things like learning my new camera, making one of the new recipes in the stack of hundreds that I want to try, or reading my current library book (which is fascinating but challenging). But anyhoo...

Good for you for buckling down on this item on your "to learn" list, because I'm loving this effect! That first one looks like the view out a porthole, and I love the effect of the trees in the other two. Very cool!