Pages

Followers

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Third Thursday

Linking with Brenda for this month's third Thursday.....on nearly the 4th Thursday, but I'm here, and fortunately there's a window of time to get here in.  Thank you hostess mostest.





This month I've been making an effort to work in Lightroom more. And, it is an effort. I know many of you work almost solely there, but I'm having a very hard time letting go of my Photoshop where I feel much more skilled (tho' with still plenty to learn).



Eyes 179/365
Eyes 179/365



Stone Pilings 197/365
Stone Pilings 197/365


Trees
Trees
 
Here are a few that I especially like the result of.  Last month I mentioned playing with duo tones, and it looks like in LR is where that started.  Don't know what I like about them....maybe they're different.  I'm pretty bored in the images I've been taking so creating something that feels new/different may be good to ease the same ol' same 'ol feeling that's haunting me.
 
 
Yesterday I went to Portland and had an 1/2 hour to kill and took some images in a different locale.  In the evening I edited in LR.
 
 
 

Bow Line
Bow Line


Her Orange Skirt
Her Orange Skirt


Trapped
Trapped
 
 
I tried to stay away from the duo tones and preset possibilities.  I used the sync button which is somewhat helpful but I seem to have to go back and tweak each image anyway. In the end I brought each image into PS because the warming in LR is too yellow-ish for me, and made final adjustments especially to reds and oranges that didn't appeal as finished in LR.
 
A couple things I DO like about LR.  Using gradient to tone down a too bright area as in the top part of this lobster trap image.  I also like adding the vignette from time to time.  The crop feature is easy to adjust and then change and it's very cool to totally screw up and hit that little "reset" button.  Making an instant virtual copy is handy too.
 
 
I believe there is a quick way to zip your image into PS and then back to LR which might help me, but I'm finding it takes me longer to process a pack of images this way.  It is not yet a time saver to work this way.  Hmmmm.
 
 
I shall continue to try and challenge myself.  Maybe it's just a lengthy learning curve, but I've been trying for more than 6 months now.
 
 
Thank you to Brenda for 3rd Thursday.  While I don't always purposely try something new, when I look back through my images, I often see stuff that I've been working on without being aware.  Happy day to all.
 
 
PS...yah, those are dead crabs left in that lobster trap.  Oooh, oooh that smell.
 

12 comments:

Kathy McB said...

I'm comfortably at home with my Photoshop. I know I SHOULD learn Lightroom but quite honestly...I'm STILL learning so much via Photoshop. I can get lost for hours editing in Photoshop, trying out different things. My family might think I permanently disappeared if I ever decide to embark on Lightroom.

Sarah Huizenga said...

I think you are most comfortable in what you learned first and because they are quite different, it can be a challenge. I am definitely more comfortable in LR, but I am slowing coming along in Photoshop. Keep at it my friend, your images are awesome as always.

Deborah Tisch said...

I enjoy using Lightroom and still have so much to learn. It's a challenge to set down with the book or look at online videos to get a grasp on all it can do. Kudos to you for diving in and taking this on!

Since you asked about mirror lock up in response to my post yesterday, I wrote a new post this morning about it and shared some links. Thanks for asking about it and spurring me on!

Brenda said...

Susan - I have that same feeling that I "should" be using Lightroom. But I have found a way of working using Adobe Bridge (for organizing and cataloging), Adobe Camera Raw (for initial RAW editing - it is the same engine as LR) and then Photoshop that works for me. Developing a workflow is a very personal process and I think you have to find the best combination for your own style. Regardless of what the "experts" have to say.

That being said - I applaud your "stick-to-it-ness". Your results are well worth the effort. I am fond of duotones as well and your foray into this area has been quite successful with lovely results. Love the reflections in "Stone Pilings" and the overlaid grid in "Trapped".

Regardless of whether it is the 3rd or 4th Thursday, your participation in the Third Thursday Challenge is so very welcome. Thank you for joining up - you always bring something unique to the table.

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

There are some LR features I can't live without (the gradient tool, for instance). There is a 'quick' way to get into PS, but define 'quick'. I think some of it depends on the speed of computer and availability of RAM (lots is 'mo better'). I think I have 8G in my laptop and it's OK.

On the tat, it doesn't hurt, it more like someone scratching at your skin.

Cathy H. said...

Beautiful images. Love the beautiful colors in the stone pilings image.

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderful photos, Susan. I especially love the stone pilings, and the duotone of the trees.
Not sure about the dead crabs. LOL
K

gina said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas about LR vs. PS. I've been using photoshop for five years and taken lots of classes, so I am loathe to move into new software -- I get impatient with those learning curves. So my question: is it really worth the time to learn how to use LR? What does it really offer?

I agree with most of the others -- your stone pilings is gorgeous! I like your eyes selfie too.

gina said...

Thanks for sharing your ideas about LR vs. PS. I've been using photoshop for five years and taken lots of classes, so I am loathe to move into new software -- I get impatient with those learning curves. So my question: is it really worth the time to learn how to use LR? What does it really offer?

I agree with most of the others -- your stone pilings is gorgeous! I like your eyes selfie too.

Anita Johnson said...

Good photos, as usual. I love Photoshop, but have struggled with Lightroom. I had hoped over our long window to get a handle on it, but didn't. I'm intrigued with the use of a gradient...will look into that ASAP.

tidbitsandtreasures2011 said...

Like others here, I am more comfortable in Photoshop than Lightroom for processing purposes. I never did quite grasp Bridge so I rely on Lightroom for light editing and photo organization, but PS is my go-to program for anything creative.

And, speaking of creativity, I think you nailed that here, esp. with the "Eyes" and "Stone Pilings" images.

tidbitsandtreasures2011 said...

Like others here, I am more comfortable in Photoshop than Lightroom for processing purposes. I never did quite grasp Bridge so I rely on Lightroom for light editing and photo organization, but PS is my go-to program for anything creative.

And, speaking of creativity, I think you nailed that here, esp. with the "Eyes" and "Stone Pilings" images.