Pages

Followers

Monday, April 1, 2013

Something Out of Nothing




Linking with Kat today (thank you Kat) for Photo Heart Connection, the monthly practice. You can join in too, whether or not you have before, whether or not you've been here "just" periodically. It is not only a good exercise to increase awareness of how your inside (your heart) connects with your images, but a good exercise for reviewing the body of work you created during the last month.



I noticed that many participants start by saying "this is not my best image of the month".  Thinking about that, I suppose it's missing the point.  Not judging anyone, or myself, but I'm not going to say that about my chosen photo.  If it touches my heart the most, who is to say that it's not the best?  Certainly it's the best in some way.



Who's Watching Who? BW 206/365
Who's Watching Who? BW 206/365
 
 
My post title is "something out of nothing".  When I reviewed March's images and found my best, I decided to go back through and note how many were done on days when I was empty and my camera was empty and I had to create "something out of nothing".  It happened often.  It is the push that keeps the 365 going to make a photo; something; anything; please.
 
I do recommend a 365.  This is my 2nd one.  It can be really rewarding, and frustrating, and amazing, and frustrating.  One of my best tips to you if you decide to do a 365....try to get something on your camera in the early part of the day.  If you don't, it can become 8:30 p.m., dark and you'll be wandering around your house trying to make it work which makes it even harder.
 
I haven't listened to my rule number one much.  Doh.  Hello night shots.
 
When that happens, it often means "selfie time".  I mean-the house is empty, taking another photo of a lit lamp hits zero on the Richter scale of emotion, and well, you're there and there's a timer on the camera, so there it is.
 
Which is exactly what was going on this evening.  I belong to a Flickr group (which can TOTALLY bail me out when I'm creatively dry) and the word of the day was "watch or watching".  I lost my watch recently, so I thought I'd do something like this......
 
  

Fun Face

which you know, is kind of goofy and fun, but......


....that's about the time Princess P came wandering around-sometime between push the shutter and wait ten seconds and I had another blurry shot of my sweet cat.

Then she did it "again"...closer to the 2 out of 10 seconds. I scooped her up, not thinking about "watch or watching" just loving my little 6 pounds of fur and purr, and that's when the magic happened.

And I (or maybe she in her intuitive brilliant way) made something out of nothing.  You just never know.

26 comments:

gina said...

What a fun selfie -- there are happy vibes just bouncing out of your image! Wonderful composition too. I am doing my first 365 this year, and like how the practice gets me out with my camera, although there are some days that it seems like an annoyance. You are so right about not apologizing for our photo-heart connections!

seabluelee said...

I loved this photo the moment I saw it, and the story behind it makes it even better. I was sure it was a selfie, but it looked so "real" - i.e., not posed for the camera, but natural and unself-conscious. It's a frame full of love, and magic is a great way to describe it. Brilliant and beautiful.

Carol Blackburn said...

Awwwww, great story and photos.

Lisa Gordon said...

Wonderful post, and such sweet photographs, Susan!

Kathryn said...

You're a goofball but that's what I love about you. That photo with Princess P is magic and love and heart all wrapped into one.

Tamar SB said...

You're too awesome. I agree doing a 365 is really something great to push yourself to do.

Brenda said...

This is an image filled with such quiet joy and love - beautifully done, whether it was intentional or not. And yes, there is quite a bit of frustration with a 365 Project as well as mediocre photos - but yet, there are those transcendent moments when you capture something like this. And it makes it all very much worthwhile.

Sarah Huizenga said...

What a precious moment between you and Princess P. Maybe some year I will try a 365 project, a year when I am not taking so many classes :)

Nancy said...

I can't think of a better photograph than the one with your kiddie....Having a kiddie myself, the love just comes out when you are around an animal you love......So sweet.....

Michele at Sweet Leaf said...

You do look happy in this pic. :-) I agree with you that a Photo-Heart Connection phot0 is not the same as your best shot for the month. thanks for the tips on a 365--I think that's why I have not committed to a daily practice--some days are so full with what I have to do that photography is not on the list. Weekly is more my speed. Cheers!

Adrienne said...

It is a magic thing when the camera captures even more than we imagined. This is lovely, and personal and shows us the spark in a special relationship. Thanks for sharing this!

Deborah Tisch said...

Princess P is adorable and it seems she knew that you needed to do this shot. Smart cat. Great photo!

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

I'm glad you keep pushing yourself, I need inspiration!

Maria Ontiveros said...

There is so much that speaks to me in your post today - about the benefit of Kat's review challenge and the benefit of a regular photo challenge (I do once a week, not once a day). I also love the connection between you and your cat in your photo.
Thanks for sharing,
Rinda

EG CameraGirl said...

I have never done a 365 although I do post every day and take photos almost every day. Hmmm. I might try your approach and see what happens.

Cathy H. said...

Perfect! You have captured a perfect moment of love. Great image!

Kim Stevens said...

Something out of nothing...perfect. I love this, I love everything about it. The spontaneous moment, the love, the seeing. I think really, the something is always there, we just need to do the nothing for it to happen!

Miriam said...

This is such a lovely post and such great pictures too. Love the selfie.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

The photo tells us a lot. Lovely.

Kat Sloma said...

This is such a wonderful Photo-Heart Connection. Something out of nothing, definitely. And what a great capture of natural emotion and connection between you and your furry companion! I love what you wrote about being the "best" shot or not - that is a perfect explanation of the Photo-Heart Connection. These photos are the best at connecting with our heart. They show us the way our heart wants us to go... in photography, or in life. That's what matters. Thank you for participating this month.

Helen said...

I did a 365 last year and really enjoyed it - it pushed me to look closer at the world around me and try new techniques - be more inventive!!. I must admit I'm missing it this year - I'm doing it half-heartedly but its not the same. My cats often come to my rescue when I'm stuck for a photo - so cute and photogenic - they're both black and white long-haired but have a tendency to head-butt me when I'm trying to keep the camera still!

Sandra said...

I love the spontaneous moment with your lovable bundle of fur. Aren't cats so gorgeously relaxed? I agree that this photo-heart connection exercise is just that... a photo which touches the heart and brings us into a better place!
Like your fun shot at the end!

Elsie said...

I love your words and like your texts great combination.

Carolyn Phillips said...

What a wonderful image to happen by accident.

Gilly said...

That's a beautiful shot, Susan, in so many ways. One of your best, I think.

Sorry to have been so absent lately - aware I need to send you an email and promise I'll write soon.

rakusribut said...

your words ring so true, it really is about the connection to your heart. and this shot just happens to be about lines and light as well, the things Kat refers to in her introduction. isn' t that just magical? i love the b&w and the composition, the diagonal line of your face and the cat's touching, love the shading and the play of light and dark. stunning shot!