Pages

Followers

Friday, May 3, 2013

Magnolia Time



Barnside Blooms 
Barnside Blooms



Shaded
Shaded
 
 
My friend Lisa....she loves magnolias.  I don't know why I remember that about her as she loves many types of flowers and does absolutely magical things with her processing of them.  But somewhere along the way, she mentioned magnolias as her most favorite, and that's stuck in my mind ever since.
 
Check out for yourself, you'll see immediately what I mean.  Magical.
 
 

                http://www.lisa-gordon.com/
 
 
 
Each time I see the magnolias arrive in the spring, I can't help but think of her.  I bet she doesn't know that, but it's true.

 

Pink Magnolias
Back Door



Under the Magnolia Tree
Under the Magnolia Tree

 

Sunlight
Sunlight



Eye Surrender
Eye Surrender
 
 
 
Another thing about Lisa, she's not one dimensional.  I think many know her for her flowers, but I love her contrasty BW images, her landscapes, her docuementary styled photos, and her attention to detail in all.  Maybe even more than her flower shots, well...except for the magnolias.
 
 

11 comments:

seabluelens said...

What a lovely salute to Lisa and her photography. I miss the magnolias - we don't have them here, or at least not this type. My fave shots here are the two with the houses in them. I miss that New England style architecture, too.

gina said...

Well, Susan, you had a great mentor! These are wonderful! I know you don't usually do flowers, but you've captured the special allure of the magnolia. That back door shot is timeless. Happy weekend!

Tamar SB said...

These are amazing!! Love the first shot, looking up to the gorgeous blue sky!

Lisa Gordon said...

You are too sweet, my friend!
I am truly so flattered that you remember how much I love the magnolias. I don't know what it is about them, and it was not until I saw them through my camera lens, that I realized how beautiful they are. Each time I see one, I think of a beautiful ballet.

These photographs are just gorgeous, and you have truly made my day.

Thank you, Susan.

Carol Blackburn said...

What a wonderful post about your friend. Friends are an important part of our lives. Her photography is splendid (I checked). :)

Kathy McB said...

Bravo!

Norma Ruttan said...

I love the way you captured the magnolias against the sunlight!

Sarah Huizenga said...

The back door one - perfect!

bgottsab said...

What a varied and lovely magnolia series - I love the way you have captured them in such different ways. A wonderful tribute to Lisa's work as well. My favorite is "Eye Surrender" - I love the way the curving branches serve as a frame for the sun-dappled, paint-peeling wall behind.

Cathy H. said...

Stunning images! The first one with all the glorious light is breathtaking!

Laloofah said...

Beautiful images, every single one! Why don't I remember magnolias in Maine?? I remember them in ol' Virginny, where the blossoms were white, as big as a baby's head, and cloyingly sweet (I had to walk 4 blocks down "Magnolia Boulevard" to school, and the fragrance when those big Magnolia trees were blooming was a bit much - like being in an elevator with a bunch of overly-perfumed ladies for several floors!) I love these more reasonably sized blooms - especially the ones with the lovely salmony pink color - much better!

They're all so pretty, but my eye keeps being drawn to "Back Door" and "Sunlight," and so I declare them my favorites. The last photo makes me itch to take scraper and paintbrush to that place, but I do love the richly shadowed texture that peeling wall gives your photo!