Pages

Followers

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My Photo Heart

Linking with Kat for May's Photo Heart Connection.  Love this linky....all are welcome, so check it out.







 
 
 
 
 
 
Another month has slipped by.  Time marches on and on.  Something I enjoy about photography, especially when I'm taking images every day, I can remember a day, mood, event, place, people, etc. Even if all of the above are not IN the photos, the bunch of images triggers a moment in time like making it stand still.
 
 
 
 
Railroad Reflections 254/365
Railroad Reflections 254/365
 
 
I believe a photo that connects with the heart, may not necessarily be a reminder of a moment that was happy, sweet, or sentimental.   The time may not have been filled with great beauty, melancholy, insight or one that bordered perfection.  There are times when I read blogs and wonder how some one's life can be so dynamic, joyful; so Martha Stewart.  Picnics under sparkly lights with perfect posies on the table?  I'm skeptical.
 
Seriously?
 
Coffee spills, the gutters need cleaning, work aggravates, there are too many chores and too few hours to complete them; the cat box needs changing-again.  That ain't no Martha Stewart-unless it's Martha in jail.
 
 
This image touches my heart because it was a crappy day.  Emotionally tough and draining, grey drab skies, cold and raw (see those red fingers?) and it was 7:10 p.m. I had no clue or desire to go get something for the 365, but.....
 
As you can see from my header, RR tracks are something I visit periodically.  Sometimes there's graffiti.  There's dirt and trash and at some point last fall I became aware RR tracks are one of the places I choose when faced with a difficult mood.
 
After the Amtrak went whizzing by (I did get a great shot of that), I noted an old RR tie sticking out of the banking making a good place to balance my camera.  I took a snap. When checking the viewfinder for clarity and such I saw the reflection and inspiration started. I took a bunch more with longer lines, facing front and back, but it was this first one that had the best focus and feel.  Funny how that happens-that the most spontaneous image is better than others I take trying to enhance the quality.
 
A bonus thing happened along with this shot I'm quite pleased with.  I took a bunch of selfies and realized those jeans are just too damn big to be acceptable anymore.  I've been cinching them with a belt, but that no longer will get me by.  The new eating habits and dieting are paying off.  Yay me, but I totally miss ice cream.  It's been 7 months.
 
Thanks for checking in with my PHC moment.  The words take up more space than the pic.  Houston, we have a problem.
 

21 comments:

Tamar SB said...

This picture is amazing!! Wow! Wow! Wow!

Sarah Huizenga said...

Yeah for you on the weight loss. I love this picture.

Kathryn said...

There are times when several elements come together in an image which makes it 'more than' the sum of its parts. This, for me, is one of them. I love the feeling this image conveys, the lines, the reflections, the selfie . . . all of it. Congrats on the weight loss, be sure to send some of your motivation my way. :0)

Carol Blackburn said...

Hey Susan, wow I love how the photo shows more of you in the reflection. Perfectly executed. And I'm glad you didn't get run over by the train. :)

Susan said...

This photo is truly inspired! I LOVE it! Congrats on the baggy jeans, and willpower on the ice cream!

Rosie Grey said...

Wow, Susan, what a fantastic photo! This is so gorgeous! And congrats on your willpower, too! Have a great week! Or should I rather wish for a few grey days, when such gorgeous photos are a result ;-)

Kay L. Davies said...

Incredible photo, Susan, although I'm still giggling about the jeans. My husband did the same kind of thing, cinching in his belt until I forced him to buy new clothes.
I used to love walking on railroad tracks, too, but these days I would probably fall off and break myself.
However, I now have a craving for ice cream. Not your fault atallatall, just the mere thought of it makes me crazy.
Really great photo, and I'm sure you'll forgive me for repeating myself.
K

Cathy H. said...

I can't believe this! Jaw dropping image! You were in the right spot at the right moment to capture this reflection!! Yea, for you and yea, for needing new jeans!!

seabluelens said...

I'm so glad you chose this photo for PHC! I've loved it since I saw it on FB and have wondered about the backstory. I had no idea that RR tracks were shiny enough to create a reflection like that. I agree with what Kathryn said about it being more than the sum of its parts. It's a great photograph. (I'm also adding my congrats on the baggy jeans. Get new ones...you've definitely earned them.) XO

Michele Matucheski said...

THis is a GREAT Photo! One of my favorites from the perspective and the reflection, to balancing on a railroad rail. Perfect!

Kathy McB said...

Incredible! Love so much about it :)

martinealison said...

Bonjour,
Une photo extraordinaire, vraiment... J'aime les mots qui l'accompagnent... Ils sont si vrais et justes.
Gros bisous à vous.

Bravo pour le régime !

Becs said...

Fabulous image. And I love the honesty of your words. Also, congrats on the jeans. :)

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

That is one cool shot, but I gotta wonder if anyone at Amtrack is paying attention that the ties have seriously deteriorated (although there is reasonable fresh gravel - don't I notice the damnedest things?)

Congrats on the diet. Go treat yourself to some new clothes, you deserve it, just don't stop at Ben and Jerry's on the way home :-0

Did I mention I really like this shot?

bgottsab said...

What a unique selfie - love the creativity of it. And congrats on the jeans that no longer fit - you go, girl!

Naomi said...

What an amazing shot, Susan. I especially love your take on the messiness of life. It's so true that blogs make our lives seem like everything is so peachy, when it is rarely so.

Becky New said...

Fantastic!! I love BOTH your words and your photo! :)

Cindy Swainson said...

Another kindred spirit have I found! Love this shot, how you got there, and how you think about things. And congrats on the diet too.

xoxo

Kat Sloma said...

This is an amazing image, whether it's a self portrait or not. That it is a self-portrait makes it all the better. I like how you've discovered your go-to place when you are down. Do you know why? Does it just match your mood, let you feel it? Sometimes we do need to feel the feelings, and not try to suppress them on change them. They are just feelings, they can't hurt us, and they can tell us a lot about ourselves.

I'm glad that you are open and honest here in this space about what's going on with you. I think that's an important part of being authentic, sharing the ups and downs. Thank you for joining us in the Photo-Heart Connection. I always love coming by.

Prairie Jill said...

Gorgeous image!! Interesting to read your thoughts about go-to places, too.

Zena said...

Wonderful image and fantastic photo-heart connection