Pages

Followers

Friday, August 23, 2013

August 23rd


The August Break 2013

Thanks to Susannah Conway for the push for August Break.



Sacred



Church and Tree {8/52}
Church and Tree
 
 
My mind pops to "church" when I hear the word sacred.  The formality of the building, the patterns of the pews, the beauty of windows, stained glass, and altars.
 
Alas, it is not for me. 


 
Warm Spring
Warm Spring
 
 
For me sacred comes in nature.  A walk in the woods or near the sea,
often in solitude.  The steady walking motion lets my mind find a meditation of moving thoughts, unlike those who sit still and empty their minds of thought.  That stillness too is not for me.
 
 
 
 
A Wee Weed {21/52}
A Wee Weed
 
 
Most of all, light is sacred to me. It influences my well-being physically and emotionally. It is the key.


It is in these places of solitude, nature, and light I find much inspiration for my photography.  That is another kind of sacred all together.

7 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Good day Susan, sounds like you have the beginnings of a book there. I'm serious.....lots of photographs that tell your story and prose like that and you've got a best seller. I know these things. I've always been good at motivating other people.

Kathryn said...

It's as though you took the words right out of my mouth. Love the warmth of the church reflection in the window and you know I'm always jealous of anyone who gets to be by the sea. Walking on the sand, hearing the roar of the waves, it truly is a sacred place.

gina said...

Beautifully expressed in both words and pictures, Susan! The first image, with the reflection of the tree, gives us a preview of what is to come. Beautiful captures of the seashore and the light.
I agree with you -- that I find a connection to God in nature.

Leanne Barnett said...

Beautiful light in that last shot! ANd there is something really special about the beach, & yours looks amazing.

bgottsab said...

Beautiful essay on what is sacred to you. We each have to find that for ourselves, do we not? And each of your images is like a prayer to the golden light.

Sarah Huizenga said...

Great thoughts on the word.

Cathy H. said...

I love all these images. I can tell that you gain peace and joy from nature.