Pages

Followers

Sunday, December 15, 2013

It's Beginning.....




Side Door



Linking with my friend Kathy over at "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out" for this week's Songography. Thank you hostess.




Well it is "beginning to look like Christmas" if you dig it white like Bing.  I don't listen to the weather terrorists, but we're getting plenty-LLBean pac boots deep.  I'd rather "dig it" in sneakers and jeans vs. boots and down, but whatever.  Here we go.  I'll have my grass back 4 long months from now.




Dock Square
Dock Square

Last weekend before the "S" word arrived.  I got up super early and hit downtown Kennebunkport-tourist mecca.  Each December they host "Christmas Prelude".  The shops all decorate and people flock from all over New England and further to shop and enjoy the activities.  Me....I hibernate. 


I loved catching this scene totally void of cars and people.  As if the lights and decorations (and handy places to park) were all for me.  I guess they were.
 


Tree in the Square
Tree in the Square

Pardon the pun induced title.



Allisons
Allison's

  Eons ago when I was a child this was a old time grocery on the right and a dumpy little hole in the wall called the "Chat and Chew" where the lobsterman would go for breakfast-and the conversation was often "salty" as my mom liked to say.  Now it's local restaurant and watering hole that caters to tourists all summer, and the locals in the off-season.



 
Ice Beads
Ice Beads
 
Here's a shot from a couple days back before the "S" word arrived.
 


In the Yard BW
In the Yard BW
 
But now back to my regularly scheduled day.


Thanks for stopping by.  Have a great day.
 
 

21 comments:

Adrienne said...

Perfect. I've heard so much about Kennebunkport at Christmas. I tend to avoid places that attract lots of people (when the other people are there!)...this is a perfect way to enjoy the town! I've only visited 'off' season...makes me happy to see it all dolled up for the holiday!

Carol Blackburn said...

Good mornin' Susan, I just love those lights in the square. It must have been surreal being there in the wee hours of the mornin' with nary a soul in sight. We are still getting the "S" right now but it's like fine sugar. Enough for us to call the plow man though. Enjoy your day.

Stephanie said...

The town looks like an enchanted village. I'm going to have to visit it someday. Glad to see you back in blogworld. Your absence has been noted.

Debbie said...

what a beautiful little village/town!!

love the tree in the square and allison's....what gorgeous night time images they are!!

Sharon said...

Lovely tour of your neighborhood! I really love that last B&W shot of the bare trees in snow. I hope you do enjoy the winter this year and that spring arrives quickly for you!

Kathy McB said...

Welcome back! You've been missed my friend :). I didn't realize you were near Kennebunkport. I've been looking into spending a long weekend up there. If I do...I know who I will let know :). My oh my, if you had a to pick a place to experience a traditional Americana Christmas scene...YOUR town would be it. I LOVE your "Tree in the Square" (both the photo AND pun). I'm diggin' the white stuff like Bing at the moment...but it BETTER be gone with the summer wind (and by summer, I mean January, haha). Thanks for joining in on Song-ography.

Brandi said...

Wow, these are just phenomenal shots. I've visited in the summer, such a beautiful place all year!

Tamar SB said...

So so pretty! I was as giddy as a school girl last night! Enjoy the warm insides today!

Ida said...

I'm so with you on the "S" word, not a big fan. Ours (what little we had) melted this week after the sub-degree temperatures warmed us up to a nice nearly 50 degrees. - Anyway I enjoyed all your gorgeous photos. Especially the one of the Tree in the town square. I also enjoyed the nostalgic story about the old dive restaurant.

gina said...

These are wonderful winter shots, Susan! Dock Square is just magical! Enjoy your hibernation and hope you can venture out a little bit for more photos.

Nicki said...

Heading through town yesterday morning (early) I thought aloud how I really need to gear up and do it again but with my camera. Great photos. Your b/w yard shot is stunning (I've developed a 'thing' for trees and b/w).

Fran said...

Those are beautiful photos and so peaceful without the crowds.
Merry Christmas.

Carletta said...

Wonderful Night shots!
Love the last shot! You can send the snow south.

Linda R said...

All those lights look pretty, pretty. Love the one of the tree in the window. And the last shot in B&W is perfect.. LOVE it..

Hugs~

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

I'm definitely one to avoid the crowds. Tree in the square is very psychedelic. I like ice beads and the monochrome. We got 4-5" of snow and a bunch of ice. Many were not happy, but I view it as icing on the cake.

Jackie Mc Guinness said...

Lovely! Don`t enjoy the crowds either!

seabluelens said...

My daughter and I went down there last weekend - Sunday, I think - and the town was packed. People were lining the street for a parade, but our beeper told us our table was ready so we had to go in for lunch - at Alisson's! I'd much rather go when it's not so busy, but we had fun anyway. I love these photos - all of them, but that one of the empty Dock Square gets me every time.

chai-and-chardonnay.blogspot.com said...

The last picture is my favorite…I love to walk in the forest in winter when all is quiet.

bgottsab said...

Yes, it is definitely looking a lot like Christmas there in Maine. Such lovely shots - I know you aren't a snow fan - but right now, early in the year, it is quite, quite lovely. Really, really love the "Ice Beads" shot - the light is stupendous.

Sarah Huizenga said...

Welcome back to Winter. Maybe with it coming early this year, it will be done sooner :)

Jeanne said...

I love all of these shots! Especially ALLISONS, AND THE REFLECTION OF THE TREE IN THE SQUARE. I also love Maine and think it is such a beautiful and unique state. I have enjoyed my morning coffee much more as I have browses through your blog posts, so am your newest follower. Do enjoy the season! and will be seeing your often, Jeanne