Pages

Followers

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Photo-Heart for January





Last month I had a hard time choosing a photo heart connection and I find the same is true this month.  I'm connected with a variety of my photos because I think they are good, because I saw something in an instant and knew it would be a good photograph, or because I can remember the moment clearly on the day it was taken.  I'm not feeling the heart connection though.

Something I like about photography beyond the act of capturing images, sharing them with an "audience" of friends, taking time to process them to bring out the best, etc.  I can look at a photo from August of 2012 and remember that night or day or morning and sometimes my state of mind.  It is rare when I'm puzzled about where a photo was taken.




Nostalgia.  The dictionary says it's a yearning for something in the past, connected with happiness, but I think of it too as a peek backward that may be a regret or a simple remembrance without much emotional pull toward pleasure or pain.  It seems nostalgia isn't connected with something that happened last week or a month ago, but it digs deeper to a time in the distant past.  I shall contact Merriam-Webster and ask them to give a go at tweaking that definition for me.


 
Window Shades BW
Window Shades BW




I took this just a few days back at an old school building which is no longer occupied. It was pretty cold so I did a once around the building capturing images until I could no longer feel the fingers on my right hand. This image has a sense of nostalgia for me reminding me of an elementary school I attended. I don't have particularly fond memories of the school, nor negative ones either. It is the windows. They looked like this at Park Street School, especially outside of my 4th grade classroom-at least to me with a 9 year old's perception.

What draws me to the image are the cords hanging from the windows. I didn't see them while shooting, only when I looked at my photos later in the day. I wonder if I did see them while shooting and they just didn't register. I did note the different levels of the shades (not blinds), and I liked the imperfection which is when my brain suggested to my index finger I should push the shutter button.

When I look at this photo a year from now, I'll remember that I parked around back, the red door on the right side of the building, the sort of sorry state of a building now empty and becoming freezing cold 3/4 the way around and wishing I'd parked closer.

I have no idea what this photo-heart connection is about, but there it is.  Thank you to Kat for the link up.  I enjoy participating every month.



16 comments:

Jeanne said...

Lovely shot whether it is a heart connection or not. i also love the photos as it can bring back my feelings of the moment. One of the things that I so love about photography!

Tamar SB said...

That's great! Wow - love this Susan.

gina said...

Funny, when I first saw your image, it immediately brought back memories of my elementary school in Weymouth Massachusetts, way back in the 20th century -- good memories of hopscotch, school paste, and learning the times tables -- making me feel nostalgic too. The power of photography! I like asymmetry of the shades too.

Kathryn said...

I was drawn to the different levels of the blinds and then to the one that has no cord . . . standing out in its own way.

Sarah Huizenga said...

You told a good story with the photo and to me that is a Photo Heart Connection. Love the building and would love be there photographing it. Maybe in warmer weather though :)

Cathy H. said...

Yes, you definitely captured a nostalgic feel here. I think nostalgia is connected to the heart which would then make this a photo-heart connection. Yes, talk to Mr. Webster, please!

seabluelens said...

I grew up in a different part of the country so our school windows didn't look anything like these. But I can imagine how a photo of them would invoke a sense of nostalgia, even though I didn't much like school. To me the meaning of nostalgia has a sense of "viewing with rose-colored glasses" to it - remembering things more as we wished they had been than as they actually were.

seabluelens said...

PS - Did you actually link up on Kat's blog? I didn't see you over there.

bgottsab said...

Pulling the shades at the end of the day was a prized student job in my elementary school - that and cleaning the erasers. This image certainly brings back long-ago memories from that time. I, too, am attracted by the uneven shades and those dangling cords. Beautiful image! And maybe sometimes we can't really explain the whys and wherefores as to how a particular image speaks to us.

Sandra said...

I can feel your nostalgia coming through and I got that school feeling too and saw images of chalk dust and ink spots on blotting paper!
I like those cord hanging from the windows as well and the stern brick wall which could certainly feel a little intimidating to a 9-year old school girl!
A touching photo-heart connection!

LeAnne said...

Gosh it has been awhile. This is LeAnne from Photosbyleanne. I'm back with a new blog and saw this post through Kat's heart connection link up. Good to see you and loved your post and image. I'm really partial to black and white these days.

Deborah Tisch said...

I have to agree with Brenda. Sometimes we just don't know for sure what the connection is about a certain image.

I like this one. Makes me wonder who raised those shades, and how does that cord feel in their hand.

And the bricks around the top of each window...how long has that place been there and who were the brick layers that put it all together.

That's where my mind goes. But then, we have had an awful lot of snow (even more falling as we speak) so that explains my digression.

Prairie Jill said...

Lovely image. It does have a nostalgic feel, doesn't it? Interesting to see what memories are triggered by something like this.

Kat Sloma said...

Wonderful image. You are right, those little details, the imperfections that make things not-quite-symmetrical, are what make the image. Maybe this month, as you ponder it, a reason for the Photo-Heart Connection will come. It's there, layered somewhere underneath the ideas, expectations and memories.

smiles, Sharon said...

Hi Susan, been awhile, but visiting your postings never ever disappoints me. I, too, went to a school similar to this one. Liberty Elementary....very high ceilings, peeling yellow paint, little desks that my long legs couldn't fit under, ink well that had tons of drops of black ink, and one big blackboards, always dusty.
I went on to teach in a new, modern school...what a difference one generation can make. By today's standard it, too, is probably in need of repairs. Lovely shot, and yes you will remember freezing to death, after all look where you live!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog with photos of rescue dogs. I do agree, and it is unfortunate, that dogs get much more publicity and help in being rescued. My daughter has had three now, and it is horrible what humans do to these animals no matter the type. Pure evil....Thank heavens for those who cherish their pets, and also take others in....enjoy your snow and cold and camera...don't let it freeze....smiles: sharon

Zena said...

I can feel nostalgia of things that I have not even lived (apart from the common one)... maybe according to dictionary this is not nostalgia but when I see certain images I experience a sort of longing that is about what could be and wasn´t. This happened to me when I look at your photo, the building doesn´t remind me anything but the windows and the shades has conjured up that feeling...

Great photo-heart connection