Pages

Followers

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Photo Heart March Edition


I've been largely absent here at the Ears, and I'm not going to justify that or apologize. Don't know that beyond this post life will open up for more blogging moments or not. It will when it will. But I miss my regular peeps out there. That's the hardest part.  The Photo-Heart is not to be missed however. I will apologize for not getting around to reading every one's post each month no matter how good my intentions for doing so are. I'm doing the best I can.


I was lucky enough this month to travel to La Jolla California near San Diego. Having a week's respite from winter was really helpful and each day the sun made a big appearance which helped my mood drained from SAD and winter and cold and snow that seems(ed?) endless. I visited an aunt and uncle, and their cute dog named Spiffy.

The first evening my uncle took me for a nice walk along the shoreline (with Spiffy).  I got a lay of the land, saw a gorgeous west facing sunset where I could actually see the sun touch the horizon (we don't get those here in Maine-always trees and stuff in the way) and stopped to chat with a few folks including a photographer who had recently opened a little gallery shop with a display of images vividly filling the walls complete with price tags beside.

The next morning, I took a photowalk.  It was hazy, but the sun was definitely working its way out.  It is fun and exciting to capture images in a place totally new and great to feel that adrenaline rush that doesn't come so easily shooting the same ol', same ol' around home.  I came around the corner to find this beautiful scene with some of my faves...mist, golden light, a single person, backlight (if only there'd been a low POV).....I could see the man was a photographer waiting on the hillside to catch the "perfect" shot of pelicans that use that spot as their home.



Waiting on Photo Ops
Waiting on Photo Ops
 
 
I thought, while he's waiting for the perfect photo op, I'm getting the perfect photo op courtesy of him.  As I rounded the top of the hill, we met.  It was the same photog I'd met the evening before.  The one with the shop with his photos for sale.
 
I think my PHC moment this month is reminding myself to "own" that I'm an artist.  I do, but sometimes I think I'm not as good an artist/photographer as others out there.  I know it's true when I see really high end photographers with experience and equipment and such, but I need to own that I am good at what I do without being a bragger, just self-assured.
 
Later in the week I went to a couple of galleries of some really high end photographers.  Professionals whose life work is photography.  They have images that sell for minimum of $350 and run up into the thousands.  You know what I saw?  A couple of images that I would have taken and similarly composed; a couple of images with the focus not perfectly clear (that I would have discarded as not good enough); a couple of images with blow outs-and yet they were still great photos.
 
Note to self....jus' sayin'.
 
 
Thank you to Kat for the Photo Heart Connection.  Always enjoy the soul searching and the practice which doesn't feel much like practice at all.
 
 



19 comments:

Carol Blackburn said...

Hello Susan, what a wonderful post. It's good to know you haven't been buried under an avalance (sp?) off the roof somewhere. Glad for you that you were able to take a trip and enjoyed yourself. I hope we all get to see you posting again real soon.
Regards,
Carol

Wayne (Woody), whatever said...

A change of scenery would do me a world of good.

This is a gorgeous image, wouldn't it be great to sell it for hundreds of $$$?

My greatest obstacle to doing this is myself. I suck at self-promotion. I need a marketing department so I can focus on the fun.

Sarah Huizenga said...

Great post! I never understand how they can charge so much for their work. I would rather more people have my stuff and sell in in the reasonable price range. Not that I am looking to have a gallery show with price tags next to my work. But I have looked at pieces before and thought I have done something similar or I could do that. I take myself seriously but I just don't know what to do with it. Maybe someday that will become clearer. So glad you had time away, you deserved it after the long winter.

Kathryn said...

La Jolla is beautiful, oh I hope you brought some of that sunshine back east with you. It's always fun to capture images in a new location, in a way it's like seeing for the first time.

gina said...

Of course you are an artist, Susan, and a very gifted one! But I can relate to that feeling of inferiority, especially when someone has all the expensive gear. I have to do the self talk too.
I'm so happy that you got to come to California and enjoy some nice weather -- your photos from that trip are so much fun. Happy snapping in April!

Leanne Barnett said...

So beautiful! Lovely to be in a new spot.

Lisa Gordon said...

What a wonderful trip, Susan!
And a perfect Photo-Heart Connection.
Love your note to self! :-)

Stephanie said...

So glad to see this post. I was just getting ready to send out a search party for you. I visited your exhibit at YCCC and I could see you having your own gallery (Morning Walk?) .

bgottsab said...

Ah, I've missed you and your way of looking at the world. I am glad that you had the opportunity to take a break from your Maine winter and spend time in a new and sunny place. And that you are embracing the artist that you are. Love your misty morning shot and its golden light and silhouetted figures.

Tamar SB said...

That is so cool! I hope you're well - miss seeing you pics (-:

Kat Sloma said...

Such a beautiful Photo-Heart Connection, Susan! It is an amazing discovery, isn't it, to discover that we have a confidence in who we are as an artist and what we create. I hear that confidence coming through in your words. It was there, you just needed a reminder. An objective way to see yourself, and these experiences provided you the opportunity. Beautiful image, beautiful discovery. Thank you, as always, for joining in with the Photo-Heart Connection. I'm glad this is important to you, too.

Anita Johnson said...

This is a beautiful shot. And I can agree with your just saying comments too.

Norma Ruttan said...

I understand how you tire taking pictures of what you call 'the same old', but to me with only our town's river and reservoir for water shots, I don't consider your water images in that way. However, I am happy that you had a week in California to help your SAD. I love everything about about your photo-heart image.

Funkyrosebud said...

beautiful post I often think its not lack of talent that stops us achieving but lack of self-confidence

KILA said...

beautiful photo.

Suzette Rothlisberger said...

Your words resonate with me. Beautiful image and I love La Jolla! I haven't been there for years, but I remember it fondly. I'm so glad you found the sun!

seabluelens said...

I knew you would love it there. I'm glad you had the chance to get away from the cold and grey of our lingering winter and soak up some sun. It's funny how we envy other people their talent or at least their confidence. I look at your work and feel the same way - I wish I were that creative, that disciplined, that...whatever. You are an artist, and I'm glad to see you own it. Beautiful image and a great PHC.

Miriam said...

This is such a beautiful image and a wonderful PHC. A few people are talking about confidence or lack of it or not good enough on my blog visiting this morning. Perhaps it's the long winter. Roll on lighter longer days for you.

Zena said...

Oh... I love this post, your photo is really beautiful. I can feel how you took pleasure in a new place with a clear horizon and new possibilities and I love the sense of connection, because I feel the same every single time I go to explore a new place with my camera in hand.

But I love even more what you say about owning that you are an arties (indeed, you are!). We should own (and honour) what we really are, even when according to my experience is not that easy.

Wonderful photo-heart connection